Thursday, August 13, 2015

White Dog Cafe; Philly's Best New Year's Eve Hangover Cure

I wanted my first post to be something special - a reflection of one my favorite brunch experiences to date. The first thing that came to mind was the White Dog Cafe New Years Day Pajama Brunch. Think it sounds awesome? Well, it was. 

This isn't just any brunch; you wear your pajamas. To be clear, this means trekking through the city clad in your fuzziest, coziest, most public-appropriate PJs. My boyfriend promised he'd take me to this annual brunch, as he'd gone for years as a kid and knew how much I'd love attending. We made reservations well in advance, which I believe is a wise choice as it was quite busy. The night before, we spent hours drinking champagne and counting down the seconds until midnight. 


The Lancaster 3-Egg Omelette at White Dog Cafe
It was only right that we cured our champagne hangover with some brunch the next day. But once we dragged ourselves out of bed we realized there was a problem - my boyfriend forgot to bring his pajamas to my apartment the night before. HOW were we to attend pajama brunch sans-pajamas!? It was, really, a catastrophe. But with a little quick thinking, and a few awkward moments of my boyfriend trying to squeeze into my PJ bottoms, we found a solution. Moments later, we left my center-city apartment - me in my flannel heart pajamas and my boyfriend in the most spectacular pink fluffy robe. We were quite the sight. As we rode the subway to University City, we ignored the stares from passersby and happily reveled in our extreme comfort.

We finally made it to White Dog Cafe, just in time for our reservation. We were seated right away, in a room filled with beautiful high-back chairs and paintings of - you guessed it - DOGS. But these weren't just any dogs. They were regal, poised and posed. The paintings were works of art, really. Our service was prompt and speedy, and before I knew it we were ordering from an extensive menu filled with items that included a delightful mix of breakfast and lunch. I chose the Lancaster County 3-Egg Omelette and he chose the Avocado BLT. We sipped our tasty, strong coffee while we waited for our food. 


Avocado BLT at White Dog Cafe
When the food came, we were starving and dug right in. The omelette, filled with goat cheese, tomatoes, bacon and spinach, was a satisfying mix of all four items. The flavors meshed well and offered a unique taste for brunch. The side home fries with sautéed onion were tasty, though I prefer a crunchier potato. A side salad rounded the meal out. Overall, the dish was tasty and flavorful. Goat cheese on an omelette is starting to become more popular, though it is not as common as other cheeses, such as American or cheddar. I highly suggest it.

My boyfriend's BLT was the real star of the show, however. The bread was buttered and toasted just right. The avocado, tomato and lettuce were fresh. And the bacon was crispy. The cheese, though delicious, was just an additional added flavor, and while usually a star, was topped by the other fresh and perfectly-paired ingredients. He was ranting and raving about this sandwich from the very first bite.

We finished our meals totally satisfied - and ready for a nap! We paid the bill, and took a look around before we headed out. He remembered an old gift shop in the restaurant, but we discovered that it was no longer there. We made our way out of White Dog Cafe happy and full. If you're looking for a brunch that is both delicious and comfortable at the same time, look no further. White Dog Cafe's New Year's Day Pajama Brunch is the way to go.

White Dog Cafe - University City
3420 Sansom Street
Philadelphia PA, 19104
http://www.whitedog.com/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment